Friday, August 23, 2013

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne



When I started The Secret audiobook just days ago, I was curious but also reluctant to believe. For those who haven't read it, the basic concept of the book is that of the Law of Attraction being the secret to life. The idea is that your thoughts create frequencies which attract the situations, people, and prosperity in your life. At the beginning I felt like this was a bunch of mystical, religious propaganda. But after getting halfway through the book and practicing its methods as I went along, my opinion has drastically changed.

This idea is real. If you think positive thoughts and focus on images of what you WANT out of your life, those images start to become a reality. On the other hand, if you think very negative thoughts and focus on images of what you do NOT want to happen, you will receive so much negativity and fear. 

It seems obvious that a very negative thinker would continue to have a negative life, right? I am reminded of my friend from high school, Alexis. When I met Alexis, we were both struggling with anger issues and very toxic relationships. I was quite uncomfortable around her when I started school there. She was very outspoken, sometimes to the point of making girls cry in the hallways. Yet as I got to know her, I found that she was a fierce friend with a lot of talent and a beautiful soul. But she continued to be in battle-mode everywhere she went.

The next year at school, it was obvious that something had changed in her. She was so strong, and graceful, and even balanced. She told me she had read this book, The Secret. I didn't pay much attention to that at the time, but now that I'm reading it I genuinely wonder if the book had some influence on her changed behavior. If the title of a book she read stuck with me over years, it must be important. 

It's no surprise to hear that our thoughts and emotions influence our lives. But what if we can use this fact to empower ourselves to be more positive? Book or no book, I'm trying to write down at least three things I am grateful for each day. And I've started redirecting my focus from fear to hope. And I really feel the universe working in tune with me.

Once I got a fortune cookie with a fortune that read "We cannot control the wind, but we can adjust the sails." So I'll start with my thoughts, and maybe the universe will flow with my positivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment